Lena is away for a couple of weeks and I decided to try out some new recipes while she is gone. My first meal was Chicken Sausage Gyros. I cut the recipe below in half and used flat bread instead of the pita bread. I also added a sprinkle of dill weed to the sour cream mixture. For the chicken sausage, I used Johnsonville Italian Chicken Sausage (which I got at Tom Thumb, a local grocery store here). It had a good flavor and is much better for you than regular sausage. This was super fast and even after I cut it in half it has lasted for several meals.
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spinach and feta chicken sausage links or flavor of your choice, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1-1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 whole wheat pita breads (6 inches)
- 1 plum tomato, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook sausage over medium heat until heated through.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, cucumber, vinegar, oil and garlic powder. Serve chicken sausage on pita breads with tomato, onion and cucumber sauce. Yield: 4 servings.